Each year in the US thousands of people swallow button cell batteries, including hearing aid batteries. In most cases the battery passes through the body; however, sometimes they can get lodged in the body and cause serious problems.
It is important to make sure to correctly dispose of your hearing aid batteries. Follow these tips to help prevent accidental ingestion.
- Keep out of the reach of children
- Make sure all battery compartments of games and toys are secure
- Do not leave batteries out where they can be mistaken for medicines or pills
- Do not put batteries near the mouth
If a battery has been swallowed call Poison Control immediately at 1-800-222-1222.
For more information about battery safety please visit: http://www.poison.org/battery/